How to Use Contract AI to Revolutionize Lease Portfolio Review
Contract analytics solutions like Catylex® can streamline lease portfolio review and provide critical data when navigating the challenges of bankruptcy.
Commercial landlords and retail tenants are constantly navigating a complex web of leases and agreements. For these stakeholders, having a comprehensive understanding of their lease portfolios at a granular level should not just be a matter of organizational efficiency; it should be a strategic imperative that prioritizes data-driven insights.
Contract analytics or Contract AI can facilitate this process by providing a deep dive into the terms and conditions of each lease agreement enabling landlords and tenants to optimize their portfolios to enhance profitability, minimize risks, and identify growth opportunities. Armed with better data, they can make informed decisions about lease renewals, negotiate favorable terms, and forecast future financial commitments accurately. Additionally, identifying underperforming assets or tenants through contract analytics can empower landlords to restructure leases or explore alternative uses for their properties in order to maximize revenue streams.
But beyond its value in strategic planning, contract analytics solutions like Catylex® can also play a pivotal role when market uncertainties, lease restructuring, or bankruptcy proceedings necessitate swift, precise, and comprehensive reviews of leases and other related contracts.
Navigating Restructuring and Bankruptcy
Earlier this year several retailers including David’s Bridal, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Party City filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Most recently Rite Aid, one of the largest pharmacy retailers in the U.S., filed for Chapter 11 and is currently attempting to restructure its $3 billion debt. These announcements, which often coincide with store closures and the need to review and restructure lease portfolios, have sent ripples through the retail and real estate sectors.
In the case of Rite Aid, a significant number of leases (at least 347) have been earmarked for potential non-commitment in the future. Simultaneously, A&G Real Estate Partners has been entrusted with selling off 78 Rite Aid and Bartell Drugs leases, each spanning a tenure of 10 years or more. Moreover, 21 owned Rite Aid and Bartell Drugs stores are also on the chopping block. Having a clear grasp of all the contractual obligations and opportunities within a lease portfolio becomes indispensable to all the players involved.
For commercial landlords facing tenants in financial turmoil, contract analytics can help assess the impact of lease modifications. By analyzing lease agreements, landlords can evaluate the feasibility of rent reductions, lease extensions, or other concessions, ensuring a balanced approach that protects their interests while accommodating the tenants' needs. Similarly, tenants undergoing financial challenges can use contract analytics to identify exit clauses, negotiate lease terminations, or explore subleasing options, allowing them to mitigate liabilities and preserve liquidity.
How Contract AI Streamlines the Process
- Rapid Data Synthesis: Contract AI can swiftly scan and collate data from a diverse range of leases, regardless of their format or structural differences. This means that decision-makers have access to synthesized information, aiding them in making informed choices.
- Comparative Analysis: By using Contract AI, stakeholders can immediately discern the remaining rent and related expenses across the entire lease portfolio. This enables businesses to optimize their operational strategies.
- Deep-Dive into Restrictions: Key clauses such as "change of control", assignment limitations, and subletting restrictions often prove to be bottlenecks. Contract AI deftly analyzes these provisions, providing clarity and actionable insights
- Decoding Exclusivity: In retail, understanding the 'exclusive' sales and usage stipulations in leases is pivotal. Contract AI ensures that these restrictions are identified and comprehended in totality.
- Spotting Company-Specific Provisions: Customized clauses specific to the retailer, which might be irrelevant or unfavorable to new tenants, can be easily highlighted by Contract AI. This paves the way for smoother negotiations and transitions.
- Thorough Examination of Benefits Management Contracts: With Contract AI, businesses can swiftly analyze the rights and responsibilities entailed within benefit management contracts, ensuring complete compliance and alignment with strategic goals.
A Future-Ready Solution
In these challenging times, it's not just about adapting; it's about leveraging technology to forge ahead. With billions at stake and a mammoth portfolio of contracts to review, businesses can't afford oversights or delays. Contract AI like Catylex Contract Analytics provides a timely solution, ensuring that stakeholders are not just equipped with data but are empowered with actionable insights. As Rite Aid navigates this restructuring phase and others will in the future, Contract AI stands as a testament to how technology can aid businesses in complex, high-stake situations, ensuring efficiency, accuracy, and cost-effectiveness.